It is north of Reserve about 7 miles and just east of Hwy 12. It is “Walk in the Past Trail” on the map. There is a trail sign exit on the highway and people can follow the trail directions to the parking area that has a kiosk and picnic table. The moderate hike to the cabin and rock art site is 1 ½ miles one way.
The Tularosa Ranger Station was established on the Datil National Forest in 1905. The Datil National Forest was divided among its neighboring national Forests in west-central New Mexico. The Tularosa Ranger District became part of the Gila National Forest in 1931 and the site is now under the management of the Reserve Ranger District. This archaeological site was home to FS rangers and fell into disrepair. Restoration work was done in the 1990’s and it is now open for the enjoyment of future generations.